INCOMING GRADUATE STUDENT ORIENTATION
August 26 - August 30, 2019
The following schedule is tentative and subject to change.
Please revisit this page for future updates and additional information.
A reminder to please complete our Doodle Poll (Date TBD) to meet with Professor Alberto Nicolis, Director of Graduate Studies in preparation for registering for courses for Fall 2019.
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) Orientation for all new graduate students:
Monday, August 26Environmental Health & Safety Laboratory Training Session (Required)
Time: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: 705 Pupin Hall
ALP 2019 Fall testing schedule for all incoming Physics international graduate students
English Language Testing
Time: 2:30 PM
Place: 106B Lewisohn Hall (tentative)
Please arrive 15 minutes early and bring a photo ID along with several pencils for the exam. The screening exam will last approximately 30 minutes.Tuesday, August 27
Location: 705 Pupin Hall
- 9:15 AM - 9:30 AM - Professor Robert Mawhinney, Physics Department Chair - Welcome Remarks
- 9:30 AM - Professor Robert Mawhinney, Physics Department Chair - Introductions and overview of the department and program, including information about the curriculum, placement exams, graduate student teaching responsibilities, Qualifying Exam, and research choices.
- 10:15 AM - Professor Jeremy Dodd - Teaching Responsibilities
- 11:00 AM - Presentation by Bita Alaghebandan, Women in Science at Columbia (WISC) *Tentative*
- 11:15 AM - Coffee Break
- 11:30 AM - Presentation by Marilyn Molina and Jeimy Batista from Ombuds.
- 12:00 - 12:45 PM – Lunch in 705 Pupin with members of the faculty. During this time the Physics staff will be available to address any questions (Overview of fiscal and administrative procedures and forms, appointments, visa issues, stipend and salary payments) in 704 Pupin Hall.
- 12:45 - 1:15 PM - Katherine Brooks, Physics Librarian - Presentation on library reserves.
- 1:15 - 3:30 PM - Presentations on research being done in the department.
- Room Location # 1 (705 Pupin Hall)
- 1:15 PM - Professors Tanya Zeleinsky and Sebastian Will, Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
- 2:00PM - Professor Dmitri Bassov, Condensed Matter Physics
- Room Location # 2 (814 Pupin Hall)
- 1:15 PM - Professor Georgia Karagiorgi, Particle Physics
- 2:00 PM - Professor TBD, Astrophysics
- 2:45 PM - Professor TBD, Biophysics
- 3:30 PM - Coffee break with Department Coffee Hour.
- 4:30 PM - Office and desk drawing (Grad student offices, 7th floor)
Wednesday, August 28
9:00 AM – 11:00 AM - Teaching Assistant Training Session (Location TBD)
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM - Resource Fair, Revson Plaza
Representatives from offices such as Disability Services, Public Safety, Libraries, and University Life, will be available to speak with students about the services they offer.
2:30 PM – 3:30 PM - GSAS PhD Welcome Session, Lerner Auditorium
Dean's welcome; video of current students and faculty offering advice to incoming students; Office of Academic Diversity and Inclusion; Center for Teaching and Learning; International SOS
3:45 PM – 4:45 PM PhD Breakout Session: Sciences, Location TBA
• Mental Health
• Sexual Respect
• Working in Labs + Working with your PI
5:30 PM – 6:10 PM - ISSO Program for all PhD and MA international students, Lerner Auditorium
ISSO presentation, visa notification; International Students in the classroom
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM - Outdoor BBQ and live music
Kent Plaza, Kent and Philosophy Lawns, and Revson Plaza
Thursday, August 29
9:30 AM - 11:30 AM - 705 Pupin, Placement examination in quantum mechanics for students who have had a graduate level course in the subject and wish to place out of one or the other of two semesters Physics GR6037 – GR6038, Quantum Mechanics I and II. Location: 705 Pupin Hall
3:15 PM - 5:15 PM - 705 Pupin, Placement examination in electromagnetism for students who have had a graduate level course in the subject and wish to place out of Physics GR6092 - Electromagnetic Theory.
A reminder to please complete our Doodle Poll if you would like to take either placement examination.
GSAS Orientation (Optional)
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM - GSAS Orientation for New Teaching Fellows - 203 Low Library.
You are encouraged to attend any portions of this program that do not conflict with the Physics Department Orientation.
If you would like to attend please register by clicking here.
Friday, August 30
9:00 AM – 3:00 PM - Teaching Assistant Training Session (Location TBD)
First meeting of all Teaching Fellows, 705 Pupin: Discussion of general and specific graduate student teaching for Fall 2019. (TBD)
- Monday, September 2, 2019 - Labor Day, U.S. national holiday - University will be closed
- Tuesday, September 3, 2019 - Classes begin for Fall Semester
- Friday, September 6, 2019 - 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM - Second meeting of all Teaching Fellows, 814 Pupin: Discussion of general and specific graduate student teaching for Fall 2019.