INCOMING GRADUATE STUDENT ORIENTATION
August 28 - September 1, 2017
The following schedule is tentative and subject to change.
Please revisit this page for future updates and additional information.
A reminder to please complete our Doodle Poll (TBD) to meet with Professor Robert Mawhinney, Director of Graduate Studies in preparation for registering for courses for Fall 2017.
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) Orientation for all new graduate students:
Monday, August 28
Environmental Health & Safety Laboratory Training Session
Time: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: 705 Pupin Hall
ALP 2017 Fall testing schedule for all incoming Physics international graduate students
English Language Testing
Time: 3:30 PM
Place: 106B Lewisohn Hall
Please arrive 15 minutes early and bring a photo ID along with several pencils for the exam. The screening exam will last approximately 30 minutes.
Tuesday, August 29
Location: 705 Pupin Hall
- 9:15 AM - Professor Robert Mawhinney, Department Chair - Welcome to the group
- 9:30 AM - Professor Robert Mawhinney, Director of Graduate Studies - Introductions and overview of the department and program, including information about the curriculum, placement exams, graduate student teaching responsibilities, Qualifying Exam, and research choices.
- 10:15 AM - Professor Jeremy Dodd - Teaching Responsibilities
- 11:00 AM - Coffee Break
- 11:30 AM - Presentation by Joan C. Waters from Ombuds.
- 12:00 - 12:45 PM – Lunch in 705 Pupin with members of the faculty and current graduate students. During this time the Physics staff will be available to address any questions (Overview of fiscal and administrative procedures and forms, appointments, visa issues, stipend and salary payments) in 704 Pupin Hall.
- 12:45 - 1:15 PM - Ellie Ransom and Jennifer Brown, Physics Librarians - Presentation on library reserves.
- 1:15 - 3:00 PM - Presentations on research being done in the department.
- 1:15 PM Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
- 1:45 PM Particle Physics
- 2:15 PM Astrophysics
- 2:45 PM Condensed Matter Physics
- 3:30 PM - Coffee break with Department Coffee Hour.
Wednesday, August 30
2:00 PM - Check-in and pick up materials at Roone Arledge Auditorium, Lerner Hall, 2920 Broadway (at 115th Street).
3:00 PM - International students Orientation. This session covers important information for international students, including visas, registration status, and other relevant topics.
5:00 PM - Resource Fair and Safety Workshop on Avery Plaza. Learn more about resources available on campus, and pick up tips on how to stay safe in an urban environment.
6:30 PM - GSAS Dean's Barbeque for New Ph.D. and M.A. students in Kent and Philosophy Plaza.
Thursday, August 31
9:30 AM - 11:30 AM - 705 Pupin, Placement examination in quantum mechanics for students who have had a graduate level course in the subject and wish to place out of one or the other of two semesters Physics GR6037 – GR6038, Quantum Mechanics I and II.
12:00 PM - 1:30 PM - First meeting of all Teaching Fellows, 705 Pupin: Discussion of general and specific graduate student teaching for Fall 2016.
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM - 705 Pupin, Placement examination in electromagnetism for students who have had a graduate level course in the subject and wish to place out of Physics GR6092 - Electromagnetic Theory.
A reminder to please complete our Doodle Poll if you would like to take either placement examination.
Friday, September 1
- 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM - GSAS Orientation for New Teaching Fellows - Location TBD
You are encouraged to attend any portions of this program that do not conflict with the Physics Department Orientation.
OTHER IMPORTANT DATES
- Monday, September 4, 2017 - Labor Day, U.S. national holiday - University will be closed
- Tuesday, September 5, 2017 - Classes begin for Fall Semester
- Friday, September 8, 2017 - 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM - Second meeting of all Teaching Fellows, 814 Pupin: Discussion of general and specific graduate student teaching for Fall 2017.